Tongue Tie Release Treatment in Toronto, ON
Laser Dentistry - Dentists on Bloor, Toronto
Dental Clinic in Toronto
A tongue tie is a condition that can restrict the range of movement of the tongue and affect an infant's ability to breastfeed, solid feeding in toddlers and children, speech development, and development of the oral cavity and nasal passages. A tongue tie is typically diagnosed during a physical examination.
We see a wide range of patients with tongue ties from infants, children, teenagers, to adults.
Types of Tongue Ties:
1) Anterior Tongue Tie: This type is typically diagnosed at birth. This condition presents as the tip of the tongue being tethered to the floor of the mouth.
2) Posterior Tongue Tie: This type is usually more difficult to diagnose because oftentimes it is hidden and requires lifting under the tongue manually to diagnose.
Noticeable Symptoms in infants with tongue ties:
- Difficulty latching for breastfeeding
- Clicking sound while nursing
- Pain when latching for nursing
- Reflux or colic
- Poor weight gain
- Extended nursing episodes or frequent feeding
A tongue tie release at our office is a simple procedure done with a soft tissue laser (not scissors). It is a safe and effective option for treatment of tongue ties. The laser utilizes light energy to "vaporize" to tie and release the tongue while sterilizing the wound site with minimal to no bleeding. Though it is not pain-free depending on your child’s age, a simple and short acting freezing will make this a pain-free procedure, with decreased healing time.
Our team is committed to professional excellence and working with you to achieve optimal individual oral health.
- Increase Health
- Increase Happiness
- Feel Better
- And never hide your smile again :)